Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

At least in America. Where they do it right:)

I am thankful that I got up early enough to make it down and over to St. Paul's Cathedral for the...
THANKSGIVING DAY SERVICE for the AMERICAN COMMUNITY in LONDON

It was really spectacular.  First of all, because I've never been to a church service in an actual cathedral.  You can really feel the size, spectacle, and the mass of the crowd.  And the cold.  I can't imagine how expensive heating a space like that must be.  I imagine it to be a lot and that's probably why it was cold.  I certainly regretted taking off my jacket.  (I couldn't put it back on because it was too crowded.)

Secondly, it was really overwhelming to be in a place with so many Americans (not that Hampstead isn't crawling with them).  So many other Americans who were far from home and possibly missing their families and their traditions as well.

It was a really beautiful service celebrating America and it's special relationship with England.   And I'm thankful for that relationship this year.  How kind of them to offer us a place, this beautiful and grand place, to gather and celebrate our holiday.  It's so nice to be in a country that is at once so familiar and welcoming and yet different enough to surprise me. 

Which, when I think about it - is a lot like family.  At least my family.  And I'm thankful for all of them. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment