Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh, New York, Thank You.

So, I've just moved back to New York City after a 2 year break in Ann Arbor. After being back here for 2 1/2 weeks now here's a list of some of the things that I love about The City:

1. The Cops - Oh my gosh, they're everywhere! Maybe it's just the neighborhood I live in now, but I see them all the time. I saw about 30 of them today standing around for what I assume was An Important Cop Meeting. They were handing out orange vests, and walkie talkies. Something was going down - I was sure. Then they went to get pizza. No kidding, that's what I heard them say.

2. The Bakeries - Oh my gosh, they're everywhere! There is a really good one very close to where I live now on 2nd between 52nd and 51st. It's called Buttercup Bake Shop (http://www.buttercupbakeshop.com) and it's soooooooooooo good!

3. Walking - I can walk everywhere. And I do. Mostly I have to. Because we don't have a car. I can take the subway too - which is awesome. But I'm getting a kick out of getting places under my own power. On an average day so far, I 've been walking between 1.5 and 3 miles. We walked 6 one Sunday wandering to and around Central Park.

4. Central Park - I love it.

But my favorite thing so far is what happened courtesy of the New York Public Library. I love books. I love to buy them. But. I read A LOT. And that gets expensive and we're mostly poor now because moving is expensive. So, after getting some suggestions from dear friends about what good books to read, I trotted off to the local branch and checked out four books.

While I was reading the first book in my pile, on page 54...there were BOOGERS!!! Dried up, nasty, old BOOGERS! And this wasn't even a booger book. If I was reading Sci Fi or something I would have been more understanding. But this was a memoir. Five Men Who Broke My Heart by Susan Shapiro. I assume it was another woman reading this book. And she picked her nose and stuck it on page 54. And then there were more. Ugh. So gross. She's gross. Whoever she was. Made me think that maybe I should go back to buying my books.

Boogers.

I liked the book though. It was really good.

A note about my Sci Fi comment. I feel I am entitled to say this since I married The King of the Nerds. That makes me the de facto Queen of the Nerds. And I love them all.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea why it's taken me this long to check your blog (except, oh, you haven't been writing) but the comment about the boogers is just TOOOOOOOO funny! And a serious hazard of reading library books! I swear! What is it about library books that makes people pick their nose and put it IN.THE.BOOK?

    You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete